Super Liquor has a proud and successful history of liquor retailing throughout New Zealand. The Super Liquor name was first used in the late 70’s when John Butterfield established the name Super Liquor Man. In the mid 1980’s this became part of the Lion Group (LLR). LLR, who included the banner groups of Liquor King and Super Liquor, owned and managed the majority of the stores. In the early 1990’s LLR reviewed the Super Liquor Man brand and decided the image was no longer relevant and renamed the brand Super Liquor.
From late 1992 onwards the stores were franchised by LLR who continued to manage the chain. In 1995 LLR decided to completely exit the management of the Super Liquor group but retain Liquor King. From there, Super Liquor Holdings was established in September 1995. The total group today is comprised of 175 stores.
Super Liquor Holdings (SLH) was incorporated for the purpose of establishing, developing and administering a network of franchised liquor retailers to promote, foster and advance the success of the franchisees within the franchise network. SLH and franchisees enter into a franchise agreement that details the rights and responsibilities of the parties. Key responsibilities of SLH are:
- Develops franchise systems, standards and processes
- Group marketing
- Group buying negotiations and supplier partnerships
- Group merchandise and category management
- Group infrastructure and technology
- Franchisee support and communications
SLH has a Board comprising of six directors. The Board has established three subcommittees: Audit & Risk, Chief Executive and Information Communication & Technology. SLH has a flat management structure with a Support Office staff of 15 supported by two franchisee sub-committees: a Marketing Committee and Point of Sale Committee.
The Super Liquor Franchise model consists of 175 independent stand-alone stores (businesses), with their own shareholders and directors or partners (as applicable).
Super Liquor stores are owned by Franchisees which are separate and distinct legal entities from SLH. SLH is not:
- Responsible for, and does not involve itself in the day-to-day administration or management of a franchisee’s business
- The employer of individuals who work for franchisees at Super Liquor stores
- The owner of, nor does it have any interests in, Super Liquor stores
Franchisees operate their own business and make their own decisions in relation to the management and administration of their business. This is the fundamental principle of the franchise model. Franchisee’s responsibilities include:
- Managerial decisions regarding how to run the day-to-day operation of their business
- Developing customer relationships
- Employment relationships
- Legal obligations
- Financial decisions for their business
SLH exists to support its Franchisee’s business success and satisfaction.
- To lead, inspire, develop and manage a network of franchised liquor retailers to collaboratively promote, foster and advance the success, profitability and satisfaction of the franchisees within the franchise network.
Our vision is for Super Liquor to be the brand choice for sociable Kiwis occasions through redefining convenience.
- Convenience always: making it easier for shoppers.
- The store experience: delivering an entirely compelling shopper experience.
- Sociability: being the occasion destination; inspiring great times, socialising, fun, partying and relaxation.
What We Believe In
- Enabling Franchisee business success & satisfaction
- The shopper experience is at the core of everything we do
- Driving business growth through strategic partnerships
- Performance & viability of SLH underpins Super Liquor’s success
Who We Are
- One Cohesive Team – we play on the same side; as a cohesive team we will always outperform one that is not
- Results Oriented – we know which results are important, the focus and action required to achieve them
- Influential – we show category leadership
- Entrepreneurial – we thrive on an entrepreneurial spirit and ambition
- Straight Up – we will always tell you what is really going on
- Our continuous ambition is to be New Zealand’s number one franchise
- A socially conscious retailer who is committed to leadership within and support of our communities
- Sociable – we encourage sociability and aspire to enjoy great times, fun & relaxation
Super Range: With all your favourite brands, you’ll find the perfect drink for any occasion. Super sorted!
Super Easy: 150+ stores throughout New Zealand, with super friendly service. Super convenient!
Super Deals: Plus super value every day.
Franchisees: In enabling franchisee success there are seven key deliverables on which we focus:
- Help franchisees develop their business
- Drive store foot traffic
- Listen to our stores
- Provide credible leadership
- Be one team working together
- Show we care about store success
- Return on investment
Our promotional and marketing programme is managed from our Support Office. Our marketing team creates and delivers national and local marketing activities and campaigns that are focused on growing the brand, food traffic, store sales and profitability. Super Liquor has the following clubs that stores are invited to join as part of being a Super Liquor franchise:
- Super Top Drops
- Whisky Club
- Premium Spirits Club
Key media activities include:
- Mailers distributed to residential addresses
- Website and digital marketing
- TV and radio advertising
- Social media
- POS ticketing and all promotional posters
- National press advertising
Super Liquor is proud to be a member of the Franchise Association NZ and Hospitality NZ.
Super Liquor has won the following awards:
- Winner for the “Best Franchise System – Retail Category” at the Westpac NZ Franchise Awards 2017
- Winner of the Reader’s Digest Quality Services Award 2016 – Liquor Outlets as voted by New Zealander’s
- Runner Up of the Reader’s Digest Quality Services Award 2017 – Liquor Outlets as voted by New Zealander’s